Tuesday, April 16, 2013

As Above so Below : Achilles and a sense of immortality!

It was during a night swim that I came across the half-god Achilles*! He was strolling on the dock when I recognized him as I had known him from before. He was a charmer, a warrior and man with a great sense of humor...  He had his own way of seeing the funny side of life!! I fell in love with his charm and his laughter. I knew that deep down inside this almost immortal man, was hiding a sensitivity and a softness that were not easy to trace  unless one had the special magical powers of a white witch!
As I had recently been an apprentice of such a witch I thought I would take my chances....
He was looking for something when he came to me, but he had no idea exactly what...
As a mermaid, living in the element of water, I have the ability to transform, change, adapt...and I was ready to use that ability so that I could be whatever he needed me to be at that specific point in time!
I invited him in the water, the waves were so playful that night that he couldn't resist... He joined me with a soft tickling giggle that reminded me of a child discovering the sea for the first time.... As I could sense his nervousness, I embraced him and smiled...I didn't need to say anything, everything that had to be said, was there in our eyes! We kissed and at that moment I saw the sadness...
"Why are you sad Achilles? " I asked.
"I am not sad" he said, "I just need to do something for myself, I have been fighting for too long! Will you let me come with you?"
We made a deal... I would let him taste my water world and stay for as long as he needed... When he would have had enough, he would be ready to go back to wherever he came from, with no regrets! In return, he would give me some of his immortality so that I would remain young for the generations to come!
That same night we swam together into the deepest waters, fearless, happy and fulfilled! By the early morning hours we had reached the banks of the  river Styx! There, Achilles held me by the hands and dipped me in the water....and for a moment, between the earth, the water and the sky, right there, for just one brief moment, Achilles had managed to make me feel immortal!
We spent the next hours in each others arms singing along with Freddy Mercury......
"who wants to live forever......"
He still swims with me every night, when he is ready, I shall set him free!!

                                                                                                                          Copyright © 2013 Emilia



* In Greek mythology, Achilles (Greek: Ἀχιλλεύς, Akhilleus, pronounced [akʰillěws]) was a Greek hero of the Trojan War and the central character and greatest warrior of Homer's Iliad. Achilles was said to be a demigod; his mother was the nymph Thetis, and his father, Peleus, was the king of the Myrmidons.
Achilles’ most notable feat during the Trojan War was the slaying of the Trojan hero Hector outside the gates of Troy. Although the death of Achilles is not presented in the Iliad, other sources concur that he was killed near the end of the Trojan War by Paris, who shot him in the heel with an arrow. Later legends (beginning with a poem by Statius in the 1st century AD) state that Achilles was invulnerable in all of his body except for his heel. Because of his death from a small wound in the heel, the term Achilles' heel has come to mean a person's point of weakness  . 
  Wikipedia®

No comments:

Post a Comment